Heaven knows where to post anything these days. I'm tempted to bang everybody's heads together and start a dictatorship. Whatever. I had a good session with John yesterday, doing what I do best and playing the voyeur as Kate and Lizzie laid their souls on the table. I was involved really, and among the topics up for discussion was the work of a photographer who used a mobile phone in Iraq. John couldn't remember the chap's name. It's Geert van Kesteren, and it turns out he doesn't actually take the photographs himself, rather he uses the mobile phone photography of Irqais who can get the kind of access denied to a Western photographer. Funny, as I'm doing something similar with my Dainius project. Anyways, for those interested, his work is currently showing in Brighton, in of all places Lighthouse, where I worked on and off for years. Small world.
Here's da link.
Saturday, November 08, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Went to see the Geert exhibition at the Barbican the other day with Jono and Raphael amongst others. I really like the stories behind the mobile pictures but unfortunately these weren't displayed. He just put the pics up in a grid. The quality of some of the images was surprisingly good at about 30" across. I found some of his other pics better than others but over all worth the visit.
Strange. Do you know why there weren't?
have to say that he was both a really nice guy and full of interesting stories behind the images. that made it so much more interesting, but as mark said for some reason those weren't included or detailed.....hard to know why when it made the pictures so much more meaningful.
Post a Comment