Sunday, February 24, 2008

Aren't people amazing, the way they move?




Yet another spectacularly bright and sunny day here again in Greece and I remember again one of the reasons why I chose to come to this part of the world. The light really is extraordinary, even in the winter. Today was almost an entire day off. Late this morning I went for a walk and visited a few small parks in and around the centre of Volos to watch people sat on park benches. It was educational to watch them purely on the grounds of how they fit in the world compositionally. If I had the time and was driven enough I’d get a stopwatch and time the periods when people from individuals up to groups of seven or eight can be photographed well compositionally and when they can’t. It was a revelation to watch people with in such a way instead of just watching them as I usually do. I’ve only got two Street assignments to do due to my cock-up with the third Relationships one. I wanted to do two that said something about Greece and about Volos. I also wanted them to be very different. Yesterday I walked the length of a market, picking out interesting slices as I went, watching closely and taking photographs of the scene as it changed in front of my eyes. This first shoot was most certainly colour. Today, thinking about the sea, about the light, about the culture, and especially about Sundays when almost everything is closed and friends and families get together and head for the waterfront here, I decided to approach the working practice as I did yesterday and work my way down a street from one end to the other, picking up interesting scenes along the way. I knew I’d be more or less shooting into the sun all the way along, and so decided to exploit this and let my Nokia expose itself accordingly, ie. with the people in shadow. An example of each of the three places can be found above. The pictures were screaming out to be in black and white. Aren't people amazing, the way they move?

2 comments:

rhian clugston said...

i really like the simplicity of the picture of the round man walking towards the car. i like the chunkyness of it and the diagonal line of light that comes down from the top of the pole.

Richard Schofield said...

Thanks Rhian. I'm learning more and more to see possible pictures in places I wouldn't ordinarily expect. This really is a dreary little corner of the waterfront at first glance, but the combination of light, shape, where I was taking the shot from etc, just made it. I like the shaft of light too. Can you imagine a mobile phone with a lens hood?

:)