Cameras have the propensity to be weird and powerful things. Sometimes it’s like they’re conspiring with unknown forces. They take possession of you. Mess you about. Bugger around with you and generally force you to think and act in strange ways. From left to right this is Allanah, Zackery and Douglas. Douglas is the bastard child of Johns Major and Lydon and is a loveable old rogue. Retired and living on a mountain in Greece with a view of the sea to die for, the once unstoppable, frenetic, loud and opinionated Douglas had a massive stroke four years ago. My camera became weird and powerful and the next thing I knew I was calling Douglas’ wife Allanah to ask if I could come and take some photographs of them for my homework. I spent a wonderful afternoon with them poking my nose into scenes unthinkable in 2004, such as Allanah cleaning Douglas’ spectacles and bursting into hysterical laughter at her own stories of how Douglas, who’s left half barely works anymore, now goes to the toilet. This over lunch with one of King Crimson's former drummers.What a planet!
Work’s gone mental and I’m just back from a weekend in England to help celebrate my uncle’s Brian’s 80th birthday. Things are piling up. I need to dig out the names of those Soviet-era Lithuanian photographers, write a business plan, negotiate and schedule trips to Montenegro, Kosovo, Slovenia, Bosnia and Albania among what feels like eleventy million other things that are all twice as important as each other. Last night, after getting up at 5am and travelling by car, plane, bus and taxi back to my temporary residence in Greece, I attended our first online get-together. Beautiful chaos. Power to our elbows! What a great feeling.

No comments:
Post a Comment