Sunday, October 12, 2008
Vilnius walls
Today I went for a walk in Vilnius, trying to follow the old city wall, of which nearly every last part of it was either knocked down or incorporated into new buildings by the occupying Russians some time in the early 19th century (facts to follow). It was an intriguing adventure, providing me with quite a lot to think about on the subject of borders. Good timing too, as the Municipality is working on a project to locate any original parts of the wall and restore them to how they looked during their glory days. I’m too tired to write now, but I should quickly say that if, as I think I already mentioned, I’m going to be stuck in Vilnius for a while, then I need to find a Borders project here. Old defensive city walls are interesting things indeed, and the remaining parts of the defensive wall in Vilnius is particularly interesting for reasons to be revealed at another time. I quite like the idea of walking the old route regularly and photographing people with the wall in the background as I go along. Watch this space. Oh, and I’ve started Mobile Nation. Somebody is already taking photographs of their life with their mobile phone. More of that later as well. It really is an extraordinary thing. I really am too tired to write now. What’s important now is the process, not the theme. I’m interested in how I approach pieces of work. Goodnight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment