Thursday, October 16, 2008

Border development notes part 999

I'm not in the least bit interested in what kind of photographs I'm going to take for the Borders project, not least because I don’t really know what the project’s going to be about. I have a subject (Vilnius old defensive wall) and a lot of other things that fascinate me concerning Lithuania as it reaches its thousandth birthday (see previous posts). I also have to keep focused on the fact that what I want to produce must in some way relate to my current profession. Research and pre-production is what it’s all about at the moment. I’m enjoying talking to others about what I’m doing and I’m also enjoying tracking down literature related to the subjects mentioned above. Juggling this and other commitments isn’t easy, but I seem to be doing ok and getting there slowly. Interestingly, I’ve landed on my feet with the new job, which technically starts at the end of the month. It’s nice that I’ve got a researcher who can help me, and even nicer that I can combine my day job with the project. Looking at the photographs of the wall I took on Sunday I notice that they all either show signs of human interference (usually but not exclusively in the form of graffiti). I’m interested in the way society progresses according to the political situation at the time. I really felt this yesterday when I was walking past a huge building site, located in the north of Vilnius on land that was once a vast military barracks used by both the occupying troops of tsarist and Soviet Russia. This is also the land where an enormous grave of some 2,000 Napoleonic soldiers was unearthed when development in the area first started in 2002. I’m waffling again. I need to read a couple of books and then really start putting the project together visually. Watch this space.

No comments: