Monday, June 02, 2008

Notes before a large post 3 (Douglas)



As mentioned in my previous post, Douglas has appeared on these pages before. Now a good friend as well as a fascinating subject photographically and photo journalistically, Douglas went from being an active and outspoken Englishman with a busy job and social life into a partially paralysed, partially brain-damaged invalid after suffering a massive stroke whilst driving home one evening in October 2004. Douglas describes himself as a disabled Englishman living in Greece, but on closer inspection he’s much more than that. Time meant that I simply couldn’t get the pictures I wanted of Douglas (physiotherapy, art class, sailing etc), and the pictures I have of him, including an extraordinary sequence where he tries (and fails) to organise his medicine for the next seven days cut together (in my mind and camera, but never as far as in an edited piece of work) with pieces of rusting furniture in his garden are all that I’ve got to show (currently residing as a series of contact sheets on Flickr here).

No comments: