It's a tough call this one, although I think I agree with you Dean. Funnily, the one thing I really like about the bottom one is the man concealed behind the flag. I also like the shadow of the guy on the left. Ultimately though yes, the composition works better on the top one, plus I think there are more visual pointers in it. The crane is symobolic, and the sign advertising the new church is both slightly shocking (one simple reading (and ultimately inacurate) of the Kosovo situation reads that the people who go to church have left the place to the people to attend mosques. And of course if you can't put a few pictures with half faces in your portfolio then you're never going to make it as a serious documentary photographer!
Hello. I'm an English photographer currently based in Lithuania. My professional output includes travel, portraiture, experimental street photography and uncovering the veiled peculiarities of daily life. My work features in books, has won competitions and has also been bought by private collectors. This is my blog. You're very welcome to come in and have a look around.
4 comments:
Top. Because:
- sky
- half face
- man under flag, but not hidden
- angle
- movement of flag
It's a tough call this one, although I think I agree with you Dean. Funnily, the one thing I really like about the bottom one is the man concealed behind the flag. I also like the shadow of the guy on the left. Ultimately though yes, the composition works better on the top one, plus I think there are more visual pointers in it. The crane is symobolic, and the sign advertising the new church is both slightly shocking (one simple reading (and ultimately inacurate) of the Kosovo situation reads that the people who go to church have left the place to the people to attend mosques. And of course if you can't put a few pictures with half faces in your portfolio then you're never going to make it as a serious documentary photographer!
Yes, looking at it again I can safely say that the top one is very Aaron Copland whereas the bottom photograph is much more Charles Ives.
first one for sure.
better composition
less obvious eye contact
see full flag
more people, more movement
more scene, with sky!
good shot sco
Post a Comment