Sunday, March 23, 2008

Honour thy error as a hidden intention


I used to do a four-hour trip regularly on the bus in Lithuania between Visaginas where I lived and the country’s second city, Kaunas. I’d do all sorts of things to pass the time, including taking photographs out the window on my mobile phone. Occasionally I’d see something coming up and quickly point the Nokia out the window only to find I’d got a completely overexposed photograph. As my Nokia’s fully automatic, this technique of pointing it somewhere dark then suddenly pointing it where you want to take a picture and getting the shot before the auto-exposure has had time to adjust became something that, occasionally, I now use for effect. Whilst sitting in the café at the Photography Museum in Thessaloniki yesterday, looking through the other visitors and a huge window to the harbour outside, I saw the chance the grab something interesting. The intense difference between the light in the café and the light outside meant the only way I was going to get pleasing results from what was a pleasing image was to do what I just explained above.

1 comment:

Dean C.K. Cox said...

Cool photo. I see jousting knights chasing each other in merry-go-round fashion.