Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Breaking news from the People’s Republic of Wimbastan and other stories

After two false starts I finally managed to have my latest one-to-one (complete with appraisal) with Paul in the People’s Republic of Wimbastan last night, a satisfying full stop to the end of the first paragraph of the course (or something like that). When the still sadly limited time has been available, the past two months have been a roller-coaster ride in the company of those fabulous travelling companions education, philosophy, soul-searching, idiocy, delight, camaraderie, frustration, madness, joy and the rest. As we move on to the next level of the course I believe I’ll be bringing to it stronger ideas about what it is I’m supposed to be doing with photography (well I’ll have to really, won’t I?) as well as a more technically proficient approach. Of the many interesting things Paul said last night, it was interesting to hear him say that he thought I should be bringing more of the creativity I show with my Nokia into my work with my ‘proper’ camera. I never quite saw it that way before, thinking rather that I should be taking a more serious approach with the dSLR, but as this doesn’t seem to be moving as fast as it could be then maybe I should lighten up a little and enjoy my big camera more rather than being scared of the beast. As I sit here writing this I’m pinging messages backwards and forwards to my business colleague in Holland on the subject of our travel schedule for the next few months. Having this in place will be one less thing to worry about, as I’ll have plenty of time to plan assignments due to the simple fact that I’ll know where I’m going to be. One of those places is going to be Albania, although it looks like I’ll go there just after the next (April 16?) deadline. Hopefully I’ll have enough basic experience shooting short picture stories to do one or two little projects as I do a complete clockwise trip of the south of the country. I’ll also be meeting up with Bevis Fusha in Tirana around May 1, which I’m really looking forward to. I got a nice email from him today. My longer-term thoughts, in particular about the Borders project (in my dreams at least) are on a series of portraits of ‘Macedonian’ butchers living on either side of the ‘Macedonian’ border. Also, if my plans with Nokia move in the right direction I also hope to be in Cuba in the autumn, messing around with mobile phones and, time permitting, examining the border between the Communist island and the extraordinarily strange and increasingly controversial US military base at Guantanamo Bay. Of course all of this could easily change, but you’ve got to have a dream.

4 comments:

rhian clugston said...

sco, you write so much... i am going to have to come back when i am sitting more comfortably.

your picture for this post is like a happy boris mikhailov!

Mia said...

Wimbastan - I like it a lot.

Dean C.K. Cox said...

HAVANA (Reuters) - Cuba said on Friday it will allow all Cubans to buy and use mobile telephones for the first time in the latest step by new President Raul Castro to improve access to consumer goods.

You should host a mobile phone training project.

Richard Schofield said...

Ha! Now that's a great idea! I wonder if they're going to allow foreign operators in. When I was living there it was only Cubitel who operated a mobile phone network. But I suppose really I should be talking to the guys who make the handsets. Well remembered Dean!