Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Borders

Druskininkai and Palanga, two of Lithuania’s most popular holiday resorts, were not that long ago situated on the edges of vast empires. Lithuania’s unofficial summer capital, the coastal town of Palanga in the northwest of the country has in its time been a part of Lithuania, Tsarist Russia, the Soviet Union and Poland, and was until the First World War right on the border of the far eastern part of the German empire. The popular health resort of Druskininkai in the southeast of the country was the favoured holiday spot of the Polish military hero Józef Piłsudski, the birthplace of the famous Jewish sculptor Jacques Lipchitz and is best remembered locally as the childhood home of the Polish-Lithuanian artist Mikalojus Konstantinas Čiurlionis. The late actor Charles Bronson, born Karolis Bučinskis, was the 11th child of a Tatar immigrant born in Druskininkai. Can I turn these simple facts into two postcard projects?

2 comments:

Mark Chilvers said...

as you know I am totally down with this idea and the only bum thing is I didn't think of it first. More power to ya elbow.

Richard Schofield said...

Thanks Mark and sorry I missed you before I left.