About five years ago I was drinking with a Lithuanian friend in Vilnius. The friend rented apartments in the city for short periods of time to foreigners visiting for business or pleasure. He was telling me about the occasional telephone call he’d get from foreign gentlemen who’d found themselves without anywhere to stay having been caught out by the classic Eastern European honey trap (boy meets girl on internet, boy travels to see girl, girl rips boy off, girl vanishes). I ended up writing about it, and whilst researching the subject I became fascinated not by the classic honey trap story itself but by some of the extraordinary images of the women on the social-networking and dating sites I was looking at. Amusingly kitsch and totally over the top, I’ve always wondered what possessed these women to present themselves in such a way, and wonder if I’ve got the basis for a little project. Finding the women is ridiculously easy, as they’re all there on the internet, complete with photographs, and waiting to be contacted. I need to give this some more thought.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Lithuanian project idea 1
About five years ago I was drinking with a Lithuanian friend in Vilnius. The friend rented apartments in the city for short periods of time to foreigners visiting for business or pleasure. He was telling me about the occasional telephone call he’d get from foreign gentlemen who’d found themselves without anywhere to stay having been caught out by the classic Eastern European honey trap (boy meets girl on internet, boy travels to see girl, girl rips boy off, girl vanishes). I ended up writing about it, and whilst researching the subject I became fascinated not by the classic honey trap story itself but by some of the extraordinary images of the women on the social-networking and dating sites I was looking at. Amusingly kitsch and totally over the top, I’ve always wondered what possessed these women to present themselves in such a way, and wonder if I’ve got the basis for a little project. Finding the women is ridiculously easy, as they’re all there on the internet, complete with photographs, and waiting to be contacted. I need to give this some more thought.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment