Sunday, August 17, 2008

Beach

Bloody fabulous. I’ve been slowly developing my historical projects including registering with a local community website for the town I grew up in, Newhaven. Attempting to tie different projects together, I posted a picture to the community site featuring a very young, pre-school me on Newhaven’s sandy beach. It turns out the beach in question, a place that has a fond place in ever Newhaven resident’s heart, was recently closed to the public by its snivelling capitalist owners, Newhaven Port and Properties. Newhaven Town Council, understandably irate at the closure, has retaliated by looking for a loophole to get the beach open again. It appears they found one, and are now in the process of getting Village Green status for the beach. They can achieve this if they can prove that the beach has been used for sports and pastimes such as walking, kite flying, playing and picnicking for at least 20 years, and are asking residents to provide photographic evidence. What a shame I’m not going to be around to watch events unfold.

No comments: