Wednesday, December 03, 2008

(im)mobile nation

Whilst the Karaite are bubbling away nicely on the back boiler (more in a later blog) I thought I’d spend some minutes writing down a few thoughts on the subject of where I plan to take the mobile phone photography. As reported yesterday, Dainius, like a true Lithuanian, is taking forever to finish replying to the questions I sent him what seems like (and what probably is) weeks and weeks ago. Without this exchange of ideas I can’t find a way of moving the project forwards with him beyond the pointless exercise of looking at the photographs he’s sent me so far and wondering what on earth I’m going to do with them. Inspired by my own recent thoughts as well as by Rhian’s Albert Hastings post and a look over some of the work I was doing in Greece earlier in the year, I’m now busily engaged in turning everything on its head, which in the case I’m writing about here involves a temporary halting of my voyeuristic flâneurisms and refocusing on the art of engaging with the photographic subject to a point closely resembling collaboration. This also involves spending less time on worrying about the image and more on the process (more of that in alter blog as well). If I throw everything I’ve learnt and experienced about photography over the last 12 months up in the air and have a look at it, I can see lots of moments that stand out, some of them possessing the inclination to be brought together and formed into a sort of Heath Robinsonesque photographic project. The bastard child of my ongoing albeit temporarily immobilised project with my friend the self-monikered ‘disabled Welsh-Englishman’ Douglas Hoarton and my grand plans for a Mobile Nation project, (im)mobile nation fans the flames of my belief that each and every mobile phone possesses within itself the power to do great things, whilst simultaneously being capable of producing some outstanding documentary photography. That’s the theory, anyway. If anybody has even the faintest idea how I might be able to produce some work with a partially disabled man taking photographs in Greece whilst I’m in Lithuania I’d be delighted what that idea might be. Bloody hell, Dainius has just finished his questionnaire. How opportune is that?

No comments: