I walked along the coast to the supermarket to do a bit of shopping this evening with the idea of getting the bus back. The bus wasn’t due for another 39 minutes so I decided to walk back via a tantalising footpath that cut its way through a cornfield and over a big hill in the general direction I wanted to go in. The footpath took me through a stud farm complete with hundreds of gorgeous horses, all them being looked after by a lady who told me I might be able to get to where I wanted to through the big field in the distance. It turned out couldn’t. However, it was a nice walk, with a nice view of the sea. To get back to civilisation I needed to walk around the edge of a large, freshly cut cornfield, past a row of charming little 1960s bungalows complete with charming little English gardens. I like this border, it conjures up all sorts of ideas. I like the fact that there are lots of overlapping borders here, not just the obvious ones of town and country, but ones of manicured gardens and modern farming practices and what little there is left of nature in the southeast of England. I also like the social borders of the English middle classes and the strange, classless world of the modern worker-farmer. The photographs I took do no justice whatsoever to the border in question as the light was all wrong, and if I ever did approach the idea with the intention of turning it into a project I’d have to fill it with people (by, I imagine, knocking on all the front doors of the bungalows and the local farm in question). Too good, to waste, I’ll turn the idea into a proposal. I need the practice anyway.
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Border idea whilst out walking
I walked along the coast to the supermarket to do a bit of shopping this evening with the idea of getting the bus back. The bus wasn’t due for another 39 minutes so I decided to walk back via a tantalising footpath that cut its way through a cornfield and over a big hill in the general direction I wanted to go in. The footpath took me through a stud farm complete with hundreds of gorgeous horses, all them being looked after by a lady who told me I might be able to get to where I wanted to through the big field in the distance. It turned out couldn’t. However, it was a nice walk, with a nice view of the sea. To get back to civilisation I needed to walk around the edge of a large, freshly cut cornfield, past a row of charming little 1960s bungalows complete with charming little English gardens. I like this border, it conjures up all sorts of ideas. I like the fact that there are lots of overlapping borders here, not just the obvious ones of town and country, but ones of manicured gardens and modern farming practices and what little there is left of nature in the southeast of England. I also like the social borders of the English middle classes and the strange, classless world of the modern worker-farmer. The photographs I took do no justice whatsoever to the border in question as the light was all wrong, and if I ever did approach the idea with the intention of turning it into a project I’d have to fill it with people (by, I imagine, knocking on all the front doors of the bungalows and the local farm in question). Too good, to waste, I’ll turn the idea into a proposal. I need the practice anyway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment