
Despite my very best efforts to shoot my first assignment last week using just my dSLR, I just had to take my phone out of my pocket and take a few shots. Remember, this is a 2 megapixel camera with an appalling little plastic lens. I'd be interested to hear what people think of this shot as compared to the other black and white shot from my big camera (see below).

6 comments:
Sco, I like the B&W image better, but that has nothing to do with the quality (or lack thereof) with the camera phone. And it's not a B&W vs. color issue. Actually I almost always prefer color over B&W. I just like the B&W image better because of the composition, the changes in tonal quality, the seagulls dominating the right space in the sky to balance the image.
Hi Dean,
Thanks for the comments. It's nice to know somebody's looking ;)
Yip, I do believe you're right. The information in the black and white shot (and the way it's laid out compositionally) is pretty good. I like the lone fish as well, which really says it all about what a bad day this guy had. However, there's something about the almost painterly quality of the Nokia shot that, at times, fascinates me.
I'm learning all the time about what can be done and what can't be done with a mobile phone. I was out trying serious reportage with it today and failed completely. I'll write about that soon.
You know the thing I have the most trouble with on my dSLR is focusing. I think I'm blind. Have you (or anybody else out there) got any tips?
Are the photos out of focus after you manually focus them? Or is there a problem with the camera's autofocus function? My vision up close is very good, but for distance, my vision over time has gotten worse - I'm not blind and I have been given a driver's license by the motor vehicle bureau even though I took the vision test without glasses. But I do have prescription glasses now that I use when driving at night or watching a movie. I mostly need the glasses in darkness. And fortunately my DSLR bodies have a small dial next to the viewfinder that allows me to change the diopter so that it corrects my distance vision problem. You may want to see if your camera also has a diopter correction dial. If it is an autofocus problem then it could either be the camera body or the lenses. And that may need a more professional opinion. Hope that helps.
" Mrs.Como "
I prefer the colour and actually like the composition as well more than the black and white. It just has more warmth and as you say a painterly quality. It remind me of evening time in Newlyn in the summer.
lizzie
Thanks Lizzie. You know my Nokia has such a unique visual personality. It's almost like the old days with different looks from different film types. Plus the way mobile phones make you work, the ridiculous shutter lag etc. I can't recommend using them enough.
Cheers!
Mrs Como
Hi Dean sorry for the late reply. No problem with autofocus and yes there's a diopter adjestment thingy. I just have trouble focusing. It's more nerves than anything else I think, plus the fact that I've been shooting most of my assignments with f4 aperture. Do you always use manual focus?
Post a Comment