Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What next?

Vilnius

My small 10cm x 15cm laser jet black and white test prints are wonderful (the irony being that you can't see them to decide whether I'm right or not...), although I'm still not sure how exactly to present them. I love backlighting, but backlighting requires a different, darker image than prints hung for viewing in reflected light which takes ages to get right. I've been thinking about the fotoplastikon I saw in Poland (I saw several actually, but that's another story) and am excited about mixing up technologies. I've even been thinking about building lots of individual lightboxes that hold one picture, that run on batteries and that switch on when you pick them up. Truly interactive. I'm also going to have to explore the exhibition ideas here, namely the one offer I've had in the best gallery in the country and the idea of doing a show in a bookshop (mildly inspired by my trip to Warsaw last week). Blah blah waffle. As to the subject matter of the photographs I'm going to be taking in Vilnius, this is were I need to solid support and advice from the course. Ultimately it has to be my decision, but for once I'm feeling like I really need to bounce some ideas around. I made some notes about comments made about a photograph of Marilyn Monroe. The photograph, taking when she wasn't aware, captures the essence in the face that I'm trying to really capture with my. Not only am I invisible when I'm out with my phone, but more and more I'm taking pictures without even looking. You can get pretty good at this the more you do it, plus some of the disasters do at least provide interesting angles and ways of framing a picture that the eye and conscious mind could never do. It's like playing jazz. Or something. I need to do more printing and start filling the flat with pictures. I don't know how I've managed to survive so long without doing this before. So, what next? Daily Lives Revisited I suppose.


No comments: